Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Envy

Tuesday, July 15, 2008


"Why would you feel sorry for someone who gets to opt out of the inane, courteous formalities, which are utterly meaningless, insincere and therefore degrading? This kid doesn’t have to pretend to be interested in your back pain or your excretions or your grandma’s itchy place. Can you imagine how liberating it would be to live a life free of all the mind-numbing social niceties? I don’t pity this kid, I envy him.” 
Dr. Gregory House

In an article featured today in Inquirer, written by Amaris Grace M. Cabason, I too envy people who really gets to not care of minute things. I too have a cousin who is autistic, sadly though, by society's demands, his special needs wasn't met because the probability of him having autism was simply shunned. I cannot blame my relatives though. Eventually through sheer societal pressure they inadvertently met his needs later on when they added extra time for him to learn. REading the article today made me realize that they get to go through life not caring of what other people say about them, but who's to say that they don't experience feelings. Maybe they do, but not in the same degree as "normal" people do. 

Everyday at work, people get to shout for whatever reason they have... People from all walks of life get to do that... and as a doctor I do get to thank people who are patient enough to wait for their turn and it comes from unexpected people... one worth mentioning is a son of a well-known attorney who came in in acute pain, yet waited for his turn to be cared for while I attended to another patient. He didn't ask for a "special treatment" just because he is the son of so and so. Apologizing for the delay he said he understood. I go back to these memories time and again in my futile attempt to remind myself that there is good in everyone. But most of the time I guess I would wish to get to be "someone who gets to opt out of the inane, courteous formalities". It is a such a relief not to think of those...

0 replies:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
Life Paused © 2008. Design by Pocket